Saturday, September 19, 2009

Unglamorous Carey 'unrecognisable' in new film


Mariah Carey is unrecognisable in her new movie – because she doesn’t wear make-up.

The singer-and-actress had to tone down her glamorous appearance for ‘Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire’ – where she plays a dowdy social worker – and says cast and crew were shocked with the results.

She said: “It was cool, because a lot of people in the film don’t recognise me – they don’t notice me – and that to me, was the great gift that the director Lee Daniels gave me, to be able to go that far away from who I am.

“You can thank Lee. He had a very specific look in mind.”

Despite being pleased with the end results, the 40-year-old star initially put up a fight when she was first told she would have to tone down her appearance.

Mariah turned up on set for her first day with a collection of extravagant hair pieces and cosmetics only to be informed she wouldn’t be needing them for the film – which is due for release on November 6.

She told America’s OK! magazine: “I brought in all my wigs for the character, and Lee was like, ‘No. This is not happening.’ It really brought up what everyone was going through was not about that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share